Jews by Choice/Conversion
“More beloved by God than all the children of Israel who stood at the foot of Mt. Sinai are those who choose Judaism, who come to the Torah of their own accord.” — Midrash Tanchuma
Many individuals who seek a spiritual home find Judaism attractive. At Temple Aliyah we welcome all seekers to explore what Judaism offers. We recognize that conversion to Judaism represents a challenging, powerful, and transformative undertaking and we are honored to offer our assistance during the journey. We understand that conversion represents a choice that must be made by an individual of his or her own free will.
Conversion to Judaism typically consists of the following:
- Participation in the Miller Introduction to Judaism Program (Click Here): This 18-week course, led by local rabbis, provides a detailed look at Judaism and Jewish living. The Miller Program asks the participants to engage in the following:
- Interactive Study Sessions – exciting opportunity to explore Biblical and rabbinic writings in collaboration with another learner.
- Learn Hebrew phonetics – enables learners to feel more at home in any synagogue or Jewish lifecycle event.
- Individual Counseling and Guidance – each journey is personal and unique — receive individual counseling meant to help frame the whole experience and inspire the next chapter in your Jewish life.
- Attend Special Shabbat Retreats – enjoy first-hand learning about Shabbat on special weekends with others in the program.
- Option to Participate in Family Support Groups – we know that the decision to convert affects more than just the individual but also that person’s immediate family. Assistance is available to help ease the transition of the entire family.
- Connect with one of our Temple Aliyah Rabbis: Our clergy are here to help prepare conversion candidates. This is accomplished through additional study, connecting the candidate to other members of the community, and by individual meetings with the rabbis in which the topics of God, connection to the State of Israel, and being part of a people will be discussed
- Participate in the Life of the Community: We encourage individuals studying for conversion to join all aspects of congregational life, including Shabbat and holiday worship, classes and volunteer opportunities at Temple Aliyah, and in the larger Jewish community.
- Conversion and Community: Conversion culminates with an appearance before a beit din (religious court) accompanied by the rabbi. Subsequently, we offer to welcome the individual into the congregation by giving them an honor during a Shabbat service. It is encouraged that individuals studying for conversion at Temple Aliyah will continue to engage in the life of our community.
We are honored to be able to assist you on your journey. For information please contact, Rabbi Stewart Vogel, (818) 346-3545, or firstname.lastname@example.org.